I Just 'Cotton' Do It!

{{Major props to my super creative teammate, Phuong, for brainstorming the PERFECT blog title for tonight's post!}}

Anyone who's been around me for any length of time knows I'm weird.  I learned early on from my sweet Daddy that it's okay to be a nerd and not be normal about some things.  Or most things.  Or everything.

sigh...

And he taught me that there is no shame in that.  If you can't make fun of yourself, than who can, right?  It does seem strange.  But, looking back on it, I think he was using something silly to teach me something important: You are who God made you to be.  Accept it and embrace it.

So, I accept that I'm weird about a lot of things.  And I'm okay with that.  Tonight I accept that I am weird about...

COTTON!

I absolutely, hands down, 250,000% hate cotton balls.  I can not touch them without getting chills all over my body.  The texture does something to me that makes me think I have some sort of sensory issue...and I'm not kidding!  When I was a teenager, I had to use face pads to wash my face.  I could not use cotton balls or the cotton pads at all.  The feel just makes me twitch all over!  I'm even leery about Q-Tips.  When I get one out of the container, I have to make sure I only touch in the middle.  The sound of the q-tip in my ear just about does me in every time...

Not only does the feel of it send chills up and down my spine {of the bad variety}, but pulling apart cotton balls sends my body into pure panic mode.  I know you think I'm making this up.  I wish I were.  Just talking about it makes my heart race!

So, when my teammates first suggested using cotton balls for certain crafts, I. Freaked. Out.  They learned quickly that I will have nothing to do with cotton balls! Which CLEARLY means that they constantly feel the need to throw my weirdness back in my face.

Here are some of the crafts-that-never-will-be in my classroom.  I see the finished products and I want so badly to do them because they are all so. stinkin'. cute.

Like this Tornadoes are/can/have writing activity and tornado scene creation we do with our weather unit.  My sweet teammate's tornado scene looks totally adorable.
...but I just 'cotton' do it...

AND...I never even did the plain ol' version of this one for lack of time this year!

Look at these precious 100 year old people that my fellow first grade teacher's class made on our 100th day of school.  I love the 3D effect of the cotton...
 ...but I just 'cotton' do it... So we did white circle die cuts instead.

And last week when we were learning about George Washington during our American Contributors Unit, my sweet colleague's class made these hysterical Georgies...
 ...but I just 'cotton' do it... So we went back to the ol' standby...white die cut circles!

I see all of these cute cotton ball crafts and it makes me wish I weren't so weird.  But, tonight and every night, I'm embracing my weirdness.  We all have our quirks.  What's yours?


2 comments

  1. Ohmygosh! This makes me laugh so hard. So how do you get your nail polish off? With a cloth? Do you ever get your nails done at the salon? Just wondering. =)
    But seriously, I just can't stop laughing!!!
    I'm sure I've got some quirks, but I can't think of any at the moment. (still laughing)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I remove it with a paper towel. And I never get manicures only pedicures. The soggy cotton doesn't bother me on my toes!:)

      Delete

Back to Top